Sunday, August 31, 2008

A Brooklyn Night

Went to see The Shining at Brooklyn Bridge Park in DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) as part of the free Movies with a View film series (http://www.brooklynbridgepark.org/index.cfm?objectid=EF670B44-3048-2C77-F20C2202337458ED). Man, young Jack Nicholson sure knows how to bring the creepy. Considering my most recent film encounter with him was in Something's Gotta Give, (I know it's pathetic, but forgive me, I'm a chick), this was quite a turnaround. I was surprised the movie didn't utilize "redrum"more, but that was OK with me, cuz when I read the book I caught on to the meaning of "redrum" pretty quickly, and was like, kid, how stupid can you be? My friend (who grabbed my arm throughout the movie) who was more scared than I thought she'd be, compared Shelley Duvall to the Swedish Chef of Muppet Show fame. Props to Stanley Kubrick for casting Danny Lloyd, he was chilling in his portrayal of Danny, the little boy with psychic powers.

This event is a top pick for "Cheap Chick in the City." A free movie with the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhatten skyline as backdrops, and the scent of popcorn in the air, is my idea of a perfect New York City night. It can get chilly by the water, so I would recommend bringing a sweater even in the summertime. There are some semi-cheap eats provided by Rice (prices range from around $3-$10 and include skewers, hot dogs, corn, and burritos,) but get in line early before they run out of food (my friend was denied, and had to find eats elsewhere.) For an even cheaper night, bring your own food.

The Shining was supposed to be the last film in the series until next summer, but my top secret underground sources (well the announcers at the movie) told me that there will be a last screening of Cabaret on Thursday September 4, 2008. Otherwise you'll have to wait until next summer to check out this great Brooklyn treat.

Cheap Chick Info: Movie is free, and there is food from around $3 to $10 to purchase at the show.
Location Info: Brooklyn Bridge Park
Subway: F to York Street, A,C to High Street, 2,3 to Clark Street

No comments: